Tuesday, June 21, 2005

British and Irish Lions

My prediction for the upcoming series in NZ will be 2-1 either way. At this stage I am leaning towards the Lions. Not totally sure why but there is something that gives me a funny feeling that the Lions will silence the parochial NZ public. Most, if not all, people will laugh at me and come the 9th July I may even look like an idiot [if I don't already look like one now].

Traditionally the Lions have never been that strong when they have toured. One might even suggest they are crap. While we have seen nothing special since they arrived I am a firm believer the tests are a different ball game altogether. To win one only needs to ensure the opposition scores less points than them. It doesn't really matter how little you score so long as the others score less. Who cares how you do it so long as you win. I would rather an ugly win rather than a gallant or attractive loss. Again, look at the World Cup 2003.

My somewhat distant Irish roots see me supporting the Lions on their sojourn around the country. Besides, I can't support a New Zealand team not at a national level.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron More said...

Good to see you blogging chief, I will have more of a read when I get home!1

Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Ernie said...

I stand corrected on my predictions for the series. The BIL have proven they are very ordinary to say the least and the old adage of 'a champion team will always beat a team of champions' rings true.

Let's hope they make a better fist of it in Auckland.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 2:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home