Friday, June 17, 2005

Judging a book by its cover is a disservice to all

The standard of customer service today is very ordinary to say the least. Why is that? So many organisations attempt to convey the fact that customer service is their number one priority. From what I have seen it doesn't seem to ring true.

Many shop assistants and store owners just don't care about the customer's welfare. What astounds me most is the attitude and vibe I get from a lot of stores and thier staff. It's as if my money is not good enough in their store or I shouldn't be buying their product. Maybe I am paranoid but I am sure some of you have felt that at least once. I generally laugh it off and think they are getting paid a very minimum wage who believe they don't have to work hard for it.

I recently went into a store to pick up an item for my partner. I was wearing casual gear and a beanie. I had to wait five minutes before someone served me. In the meantime, countless assistants walked past me without even enquiring about my welfare. One customer had three assistants helping her. Also [and notably] a guy in a very nice suit came up to the counter and was served immediately. You could imagine my annoyance. I have little patience for many things and that certainly did not endear the shop to me.

I have since written to the store about this episode and am not expecting a reply in a hurry. I have suggested to my partner she shops somewhere else.

This is not an isolated incident. We venture into a number of stores and are often not offered assistance. We both enjoy an income that allows us to do and buy most things we want. We own plenty of very good clothing. On our non work days we choose to wear comfortable gear [tracksuits, t-shirts etc]. It appears to be presumptuous of shop assistants to perhaps think we can't afford to shop in their store or we have no business being there or the shop doesn't need our money. Maybe we are no longer in the demographic of the target audience. We often walk out of the store without buying anything.

I have, on the odd occassion, returned to store in a suit and tie. It is remarkable how the level of service improves and the assistants go out of their way to want to help you.

More and more I think New Zealand needs to get a grip but, as I often like to think, things like this happen the world over. Perhaps if NZ was a tip based society service might improve, who knows? Maybe my expectations are too great. Maybe I am just a habitual whinger. Maybe all of the above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home