Sunday, June 12, 2005

True colours

Here is something I wrote and had published on the Stuff website regarding spectator behaviour in NZ.

22 February 2005

I am an Australian who has attended nearly every sporting fixture at Westpac Stadium over the last three years. I love my sport especially when I get a chance to see the Aussies play. I wear my colours proudly as one should.

I used to think the Kiwi sporting public was fair-minded and embraced anyone from any nation. More and more in recent times my experiences have bordered on racism though this just does not stop at sport.

I am usually able to shrug off sporting quips and give as good as I get but of late I have been subjected to quite vitriolic abuse and the odd altercation just because I am an Aussie. The sentiments directed my way are no longer friendly banter.

I have not seen any other expat from other nations treated so poorly, not even the Poms.

I watched on Saturday when a fellow expat was bombarded with bottles and any other missile the crowd could find so, Ricky Ponting and his team were not isolated targets.

At the sevens it is just as bad. The Aussies sevens coach said as much and how they were the team everyone loved to hate. The crowd's behaviour is somewhat over the top and I question whether the Kiwi sporting public have either a lack of maturity or suffer from a sense of sporting insecurity.

Does it make them feel better when they call me an effing Aussie bastard and push me around unprovoked? My true colours are green and gold, I am not sure some Kiwis are all black.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home