Friday, June 17, 2005

Aesthetically displeasing

An email I sent to Sky TV's Re:union rugby show ....


I went along to the Wellington vs BIL game and was appalled with the boos and raspberries Johnny Wilkinson and the team received when they either attempted a drop goal or chose to take a penalty kick. There were cries in the crowd of ‘boring’, howls of derision and other comments of a non repeatable nature.

Forgive me if I have missed the boat on this one but isn’t the aim of rugby [and any competitive sport] to win? Since when was it in the coaching manual that a team had to play an attractive style to win? Win pretty, win ugly, just win. Like most of Australia I was extremely disappointed RWC2003 came down to a drop goal but that was in the confines of the laws of the game. They did what was necessary to win the game. You can’t ask for more than that.

I have an expectation now that when the All Blacks kick their first penalty the crowd will jeer them in a similar vain to Wednesday night. It’s not likely to happen. Somewhat hypocritical I would suggest. Maybe the All Black coaching trio would be happy to accept a loss so long as the team looked great doing it?! Imagine the headlines ….. ‘ABs lose first test BUT didn’t they look great in doing so!’.

Good luck to the British & Irish Lions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home