Thursday, July 21, 2005

Tale of Woe #2342315

International roaming.

I was recently in Sydney [as a number of previous posts have attested to] and had organised international roaming for my mobile phone. I am not a Telecom customer.

When I arrived in Sydney all was well and my phone registered with Vodafone Australia. No problems. However, every now and then I noticed my phone automatically switch networks while walking around town. First to Telstra, then to Optus, back to Telstra. I had to manually reregister with Vodafone Aust each time. I didn't think much of it until the other day.

I checked my account balance the other day and was advised it to be rather more than my average. I thought I might have accidentally rung someone during peak hours who happened to live in Tunisia or the like.

I rang Vodafone NZ to investigate the nature of the costs and was advised it was during my time in Sydney. I had made a couple of shortish calls and one that lasted 15 minutes. It was with suprise [I could suggest other more descriptive words] I received the news that a 15 minute call cost approx. $84.00! This call was made using the Telstra network. Far out. Another marginally shorter call cost $45.00 this time on the Optus network.

I am annoyed to say the very least. You haven't heard the end of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home