Sunday, July 17, 2005

Reply to Fanmail 12/07/05

I would not expect people to agree with me not the least you. Of course what I write is my opinion of which we are all entitled to have one. I find myself in contradiction to many people from this far flung land and I manage to get a rise on many occasions. This, on most occasions, is not a deliberate act of incitement.

Feel free to advertise my blog to your many contacts. No point writing something if no one is ever going to read it. I have made it easier for people to add comments and removed the need to have them register.

I am looking forward to the tri-nations and tend to agree with SCW that NZ have not proved a great deal. I shall wait to see how they go in the 3 nations and then the grand slam tour. While it is a bit of a moot point, the RWC is the only thing that a nation can lay claim to being the best if they win yet is based on one off performances at a point in time every four years. Having said that, NZ have failed to win it more than once and no matter how well they perform in the interim they will always be measured by that lack of success. Should they win it, well then there is no disputing their status.

I think the coaching trio have done wonders for this team and will continue to serve them well. I like what they are doing and the depth they are developing even though I don't like or rate some of the players. The NZRU did well to secure them through to RWC2007 and it is just commonsense to have some continuity.

Now on to the cricket. While the Aussies have had a somewhat uneven start to their tour I wouldn't be worrying too much. None of what they have done in terms of failures has any great impact on test cricket. They are different forms of the game and who can take one day cricket seriously?! The Aussies should still put the Poms away and crush the delusion [and or illusion] that they are any good. Though it is pleasing to see them at least somewhat competitive again. Cricket needs all nations to be playing at a reasonable standard to remain current and of value.

The English are probably only good at accepting losses because they have experienced it so much. If they had a winning mentality and winning culture they would never accept losing. Do you remember when the Aussies were shyte during the late 70's early 80's? They vowed to never be that bad again. Since that time they have built themselves a dynasty. I don't know how the Poms haven't managed to do that too. It should be noted that Rod Marsh is being attributed to the improved performances of the Poms. Another thing, the Australian Institute of Sport was predicated by Aussie's dismal performances at the Olympic. They invested a truckload of dollars and are now competitive in many sports on the world stage.

Will you be going to any of the games? Get yourself onto http://Lions-Tour.com and have a squiz at the message boards. Some good reading amongst the entertainment. The site was developed for the Lions Tour, naturally, but is going to continue and will cover lal things rugby. Worth a visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home