Monday, January 07, 2008

Vale Clinton Grybas

Clinton Grybas
09/02/75 - 05/01/08


Clinton Grybas died on Saturday. The cause of death has not yet been determined. He was only 32, 33 next month. Why do I write about this person? I didn't know Clinton but I sort of did if that makes sense.

Clinton was a sportsbroadcaster here in Melbourne covering a range of sports on radio and television which includes boxing, basketball, cycling, tennis, Formula One and is best known for calling aussie rules. Most Australians knew him from his days on Fox Footy and in particular as host of White Line Fever. He was a very, very good commentator and presenter who imparted his knowledge and wisdom with aplomb and set a standard many in the footballing fraternity could learn from.

I was absolutely shocked when I walked into a 7-11 yesterday only to look at the day's paper and to see a huge headline that he had died. It was like I had lost someone I knew. It was all very odd. I shouldn't have emotions or an attachment for someone that I only saw on television or heard on radio. It appears my reaction has been replicated not only across Australia but regions of the world.

On the 3AW website [3AW being the radio station Grybas worked for, along with Fox Sports Television] there is at least seven pages of tributes and countless more in the Herald Sun website's readers' comments section. There is a whole section dedicated to Grybas on the 3AW site. This is extraordinary to say the least. He was thoroughly respected and universally liked in the industry and by the public.

So many people who did not know Grybas were compelled to share their thoughts. What does this say about us? Does it say more about how technology has brought us even closer to those we don't know, will never know. Do we need to mourn to purge ourselves of the stresses and conflicts that life delivers us? As we grow older do we become more aware, more vulnerable to the frailties of life? Of our own mortality? What could have been? I don't know.

Grybas would have gone down as one of sport's greatest broadcasters should his life not have been cut short, for what he achieved in his short time surely cemented his place amongst the best.

Here's my own tribute:

I was stunned when I saw the front page of the Sunday Herald-Sun. I thought how could it be so, he was so young. My deepest sympathies to Clinton's family, friends and work colleagues.

When I was living in New Zealand I always looked forward to logging in to listen to Clinton, Rex and the AW team especially when they broadcast Collingwood games. For all the hilarity and antics in the commentary box you always knew Gyrbas would add some sanity.

Having returned to Melbourne I was looking forward to tuning into AW when at the games this year. Footy broadcasts will not be the same. He was one of the best. RIP Clinton Grybas.

Floreat pica.


NB: Floreat pica loosely translates as 'may the magpie prosper' and is a reference, motto for the Collingwood Football Club. Grybas was a Collingwood supporter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home